We’ve been eating out too much lately and I wanted to make something healthier and light. I wanted something spicy with protein and lots of veggies. My sister- and brother-in-law roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine on the barbecue this past weekend. They were out of this world! So juicy and full of flavour. We don’t have a barbecue so I decided to try it out on our toaster oven and it turned out great.
Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp vegetable oil
1x 28oz chickpeas
2 stems cherry tomatoes on the vine
1 bundle green kale
2 tsp tikka masala powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
salt to taste
- To make the paste, mix the avocado oil with masala powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix the paste with the chickpeas, making sure that the chickpeas are evenly coated. Place in the toaster oven. Set temperature to 450 C for 6 minutes.
- Remove the stem from the kale and shred into 3-inch pieces (I used my hands). Using a medium-size pot, blanch the kale. Using a colander, drain the water from the kale. Add salt and vegetable oil to a boil; then add the kale. Mix well.
- Place the two stems of the cherry tomatoes into the toaster oven. Broil for about 5 minutes.
- To serve, place the kale at the bottom of the bowl. Add the chickpeas and top with the tomatoes.
- Bon appetit!
- For those who do not like spice, the cayenne pepper can be omitted.
- There will be leftover chickpeas for snacking or to enjoy over quinoa or rice.