Since I haven’t posted in a while, I thought I’d post an extra recipe to make up for it. I thought a light tangy beet salad would be suitable for this hot weather.
Try it and let me know how it goes:)
Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free
Makes 2-4 servings. Time required: about 1 hour (takes less than 20 minutes if you minus the time needed for boiling the beets)
For the salad:
4 large beets
5 large organic carrots, cut into 1.5 inch chunks, remove ends
Optional: ½ cup toasted raw walnuts or pecans (if you want to make it into a meal)
For the dressing:
½ cup of organic apple cider vinegar
3 (very full) tbsp. of sweetener of your choice, such as agave
1 pinch of sea salt
- In a large pot, fill up with water until the beets are well-covered. Boil (with skin) at medium-high for about 40 minutes, or until desired texture (longer if you like soft beets; if you like raw beets, it makes things easier – skip this step).
- When the beets are done, pour out the hot water. Fill the pot with cold water and let it sit for a few minutes. When cool enough, peel the skin off of the beets and chop into small 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- You can grate the carrots by hand or do what I did, place them in a food processor. Mix the grated carrots with the beets.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl blend the agave with the apple cider with a fork until smooth. Add a pinch of sea salt. Pour the dressing onto the carrots and beets. Mix well. Add the toasted walnuts or pecans (optional) on top and serve.
- Whenever dealing with beets, wear an apron. I even wore gloves.